This is a list of facts, that really shocked me when I read them, about different types of drug addictions.
1. There isn't a physical addiction, only psychological.
2. Studies from the last 20-30 years show that babies delivered to addicted mothers, don't suffer any developmental problems.
1. Like most opioids, unadulterated heroin does not cause many long-term complications other than dependence and constipation. Most of the harm during the usage of unadulterated heroin comes "due to increased vulnerability to infectious agents, particularly viruses and intracellular bacteria".
2. Most of the overdoses are result of unexpected purity of the drug - the average purity of street heroin in the UK varies between 30% and 50%, and since the tolerance for this drug develops relatively fast, unexpected "better quality" often kills addicts.
1. It's more dangerous to the human fetus during pregnancy, than powder and crack cocaine.
2. It has a worse long-term effect on addict's physical health than heroin and any form of cocaine.
1. It is as harmful as cocaine in the long-term.
2. Tobacco is more harmful than Amphetamines, Cannabis, Methadone, Anabolic Steroids, Ecstasy and LSD.
Substances and level of Harm
* This image is taken from the above linked post of BBC News UK: "Alcohol more harmful than heroin"